Senior Championship Q/Final

Erin’s Own produced another battling performance to overcome Clara in Nowlan Park on Saturday to book a semi final slot. The Comer men have hurled tremendously all year, displaying a great honesty in their efforts and have reaped the rewards.

They burst out of the blocks on Saturday, registering the opening five scores to lead by 0-5 to 0-0 by the 18th minute. Clara droved two wides in response and made a number of positional changes in at attempt to stem the flow.

Martin Boran was first off the mark from a free, after a foul on Michael Murphy. Murphy added the second, latching on to a Gordon Byrne sideline. Another Martin Boran free in the12th min, following a foul on Michael Moran. The next two minutes produced two goal chances for Comer, the first fell to Martin Boran, his shot arrowed narrowly wide of the Clara post, Michael Moran saw his attempt fly across the face of the goal. He quickly made amends with a point. Davy Buggy ended the sequence taking possession of an overhead pass from Conor Fogarty to point from midfield.

Keith Hogan brought the score back to 0-5 to 0-3 with two pointed frees. Ronan Ryan replied racing onto a breaking ball to register another minor.

With 22mins gone Clara made their first substitution replacing Rory Moore with Stephen Quinlan taking his place.

Keith Hogan and Martin Boran traded scores from placed balls to bring us near the break.

David Prendergast took a Conor Phelan hand pass under the old stand and landed fine point. Comer finished the half strongly with a Davy Buggy point and a wonderful point from Donal Meally, to lead by 0-10 to 0-4 at the interval.

Peader Boran replaced Michael Owens (inj) at the interval for Comer.

Clara pulled back three points in the opening 8mins of the second half with two Keith Hogan frees and another David Prendergast point, indeed he was Clara’s only scorer from play for the first 40mins; Comer missed a few chances during this period but Martin Boran steadied the ship converting a free. A Hogan 65 and a Neal Prendergast point reduced the defect to two points, with the momentum swinging their way; Comer had also missed a few chances.

Both sides made changes midway through the half with Eddie Brennan in for Donal Meally on the Comer side and Brian O’Shea replacing Tom Ryan for Clara.

Clara saw a number of chances drift wide from both placed balls and general play and indeed this would prove costly.

Keith Hogan again pointed a free to put the minimum between the sides. Martin Boran who was now operating out around midfield drove a point from 75m. Comer made their final substitution on 55mins replacing Peader Boran with Jimmy Byrne. A Brian Phelan point again reduced the arrears to a single point, to set up a grandstand finish. A Martin Boran replied on the Double from placed balls the first a monster from 90 meters to put his side three points up. Entering stoppage time Clara were awarded a free to the left 25m out, Lester Ryan stood over the ball, but made a poor connection and the ball went harmlessly wide.

Clara latching over the last score to leave the final score 0-14 to 0-12.

Erin’s Own will face James Stephens in the semi final on Sunday.

Erin’s Own: Tom Brophy, Aidan Moran, Sean Meally, Peter Donovan, Gerry Callinan, Damien Fogarty, Conor Fogarty, Gordon Byrne, Ronan Ryan(0-1), Michael Murphy(0-2), Michael Owens, Donal Meally(0-1), Michael Moran(0-1), Davy Buggy (0-2), Martin Boran (0-7,6f).

Subs Used: Peader Boran, Eddie Brennan and Jimmy Byrne.

Posted in Administration